With a new year approaching, many may desire a transition. Moving is often high on the list, and one of the more stressful events for individuals and families. If you are looking to move during this time, there are some key tips to keep in mind.
1. Schedule your move at least one month in advance. Many movers are booked several months in advance, especially during this time.
2. Avoid peak seasons like fall and spring. Many movers charge a premium during certain periods of the year.
3. Look to move midweek or mid-month. The most in-demand periods are the beginning and end of the month, as well as weekends.
4. Ask family and friends for recommendations. Moving is a personal experience, and it may be best to use a company with which someone you trust has had a positive experience.
5. Secure at least three quotes. The lowest quote may not be the best choice. Be sure to also consider a company’s quality of work.
6. Bigger isn’t always better. Large companies have multiple crews, and your experience may depend on the movers assigned to your move that day. With a smaller company you may likely deal directly with the owner, or at least get a more personal touch.
7. Looking to save? Pack or unpack yourself. Add-on services may not be needed.
8. Have pricey art or valuables? Look for a moving company that specializes in crating, wrapping and moving higher-end items. Not every company has this level of expertise.
9. Read reviews. Online reviews from customers may impact your decision.
10. Oversee your move personally. It is always best for you to be on site the day of your move.
Cathy Hobbs, based in New York City, is an Emmy Award-winning television host and a nationally known interior design and home staging expert with offices in New York City, Boston and Washington, D.C. Contact her at email@example.com or visit her website at cathyhobbs.com.
Read or Share this story: https://www.detroitnews.com/story/life/home-garden/2020/12/03/design-recipes-tips-less-moving-stress/6469053002/